Apatosaurus ajax running babies by Fabio Pastori.
When I say that the animal was running, I mean that the animal was moving at twice normal walking speed. On the same block, we observe hind tracks that fall heel to toe. This should help you to triangulate where to put the hind feet. If our downscaling of adult apatosaurs does in fact provide us with a good model for what the infants looked like, these tracks suggest that the animal had both feet barely off the ground at the same time, or, just about had both feet in the air at the same time.
The running apatosaur should not be hard. Remember that these animals concentrated mass and power at the hips, hind limbs, and tail base. In many ways, these dinosaurs are functionally bipedal: the forelimb is utilized to take the strain of that elongated neck off the back and hindlimbs.
I would suggest two potential poses for the forelimbs - folded and held close to the body and hovering just above the ground.
I also find two possible positions for the neck - curled back toward the hips to move the center of gravity toward the hips, or sticking straight out. Compared to the rest of the body, there is not much mass to the neck.
No tail drag mark exists with these running tracks, so, the tail must be depicted in the air.
If the animal was running at top speed, perhaps the neck would curl back and the forelimbs would fold under the body. If the baby dinosaur was starting or stopping the run, the neck would be horizontal and arms, perhaps, not quite as tucked in toward the body”.
Matthew T. Mossbrucker
Director and Chief Curator
Morrison Natural History Museum
- iggleawhl likes this
- amx004qubeley reblogged this from schafpudel
- amx004qubeley likes this
- schafpudel reblogged this from archosaurs
- matanblodgett likes this
- sylvaint-photographie likes this
- hurrock reblogged this from paleoillustration
- hurrock likes this
- aardonyx likes this
- thundertwig likes this
- fairy-wren likes this
- sr-ricos likes this
- thepratandtheidiot likes this
- archosaurs reblogged this from swirlix
- thekal reblogged this from paleoillustration
- swirlix reblogged this from paleoillustration
- dragonsandspaceships reblogged this from reyairia
- biobeetleholmcross reblogged this from paleoillustration
- dingelchen likes this
- alackofpetticoats reblogged this from paleoillustration and added:
- zashnei reblogged this from paleoillustration
- mr-gsptlsnz likes this
- qoana likes this
- storysnob reblogged this from zakniteh and added:
- trysomthinnew reblogged this from paleoillustration and added:
- nofatebutyourself reblogged this from paleoillustration
- plsburydoughboy reblogged this from paleoillustration
- ahnika-te reblogged this from paleoillustration
- ahnika-te likes this
- the-best-tool-we-have likes this
- iseegodinbirds likes this
- sconemonster reblogged this from paleoillustration
- dino-dino-dinosaurs reblogged this from paleoillustration
- neogeen likes this
- dinosaurkiss likes this
- banditbrineshrimp likes this
- zakniteh reblogged this from paleoillustration
- bradjunswick likes this
- dismanibvs likes this
- thunderjustice likes this
- dinosaursandotherawesomestuff reblogged this from paleoillustration
- dinosaursandotherawesomestuff likes this
- reyairia reblogged this from paleoillustration
- tuggywuggy likes this
- weavercat likes this
- paleoillustration posted this